skip navigation

Greens fall to Phoenix Rising FC 3-0

By Josh Evans, 05/09/18, 10:00PM CDT


A rough first 20 minutes for Energy FC put them into a hole they weren’t able to dig out of as they lost 3-0 to Phoenix Rising FC.

Rising FC forward Jason Farrell staked the visitors to a 1-0 lead at the 15-minute mark off a free kick from the left wing, just outside the box.  Just six minutes later, the visitors extended their lead to 2-0 when Mike da Fonte converted a header off of a corner kick.  Both goals were assisted by Alessandro Riggi. 

Energy FC came out in the second half with more fire and appeared to have additional chances.  Alex Dixon found himself behind the defense in the 58th minute and slid the ball past Phoenix Rising keeper Zac Lubin, but the offside flag was up and negated the goal.

Phoenix added an insurance goal in the 75th minute when Jason Johnson corralled a nifty through pass by Gladson Awako at the top of the box.  Johnson would shoot in stride past Energy FC goalkeeper Matt VanOekel.

The loss for Energy FC is their fifth straight at home and eighth straight overall.  The shutout also extended Energy FC’s goal-scoring drought to 519 minutes.  The team’s last goal was March 31 on the road against Fresno FC.

Newcomer Christian Volesky, acquired Tuesday by Energy FC from Saint Louis, played the full 90 minutes and had two shots.  Energy FC goalkeeper Matt VanOekel made seven saves on the evening.  That is tied for the second most saves in a match in franchise history.

The Greens return to the pitch for their next match on May 16 when they take on the NTX Rayados in the second round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in Texas.  NTX Rayados downs the Fort Worth Vaqueros 2-1 in extra time to advance to the second round.  The next league match for Energy FC is Saturday, May 19 at home against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC at 7 p.m.

NOTE:  The Energy FC U23s took on FC Wichita in the first round of the 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and lost 3-1.  OKC native Josh Garcia scored the lone goal for the U23s.  FC Wichita moves on to face Tulsa Roughnecks FC in the second round of the tournament next Wednesday in Tulsa.