skip navigation

OKC Fights Back, Falters Late

By George Darkow, 06/20/17, 12:15AM CDT


Dixon, Craven pull Energy even, but late Seattle score spoils comeback

TUKWILA, Wash. — OKC Energy FC rallied back from a 2-0 first half deficit, but David Olsen’s late score led Seattle Sounders FC 2 to a 3-2 win Monday night at Starfire Sports Complex.

With the match tied at two goals apiece in the 90th minute, Lorenzo Ramos sent a pass from midfield to the left side of the OKC box, where unmarked Olsen collected and rolled a shot around Energy FC goalkeeper Cody Laurendi for the game’s deciding score. Prior to netting his game-winner, Olsen missed the net on two high-percentage scoring chances.

Down 2-0 as late as the 70th minute and playing down a man after a red card was issued to Miguel Gonzalez in the 35th minute, Energy FC rallied for two scores in the final 20 minutes. In the 70th minute, Philip Rasmussen sent a cross to the top of the Seattle six, where Alex Dixon chipped OKC’s first score past Sounders 2 keeper Tyler Miller.

In the 86th minute, a handball by Seattle’s Brian Nana-Sinkam on an Andy Craven shot from inside the Sounders 2 box led to a penalty kick for OKC. Moments later, Craven converted the kick with a line-drive strike to the middle-right side of the Seattle net. The goal was Craven’s third penalty kick score in his last two games.

The scores by Dixon and Craven gave each a team-high three goals for the season.

Though Energy FC held an offensive advantage in the second half, Seattle outplayed OKC for much of the first.

Sounders 2 got on the board in the 13th minute, when Zach Mathers picked up a bounding ball near the top of the OKC box and bounced a shot through traffic and past a diving Laurendi.

In the 39th minute, Seattle increased its lead to 2-0 when Mathers converted a penalty kick after OKC’s Chad Bond was whistled for a foul in the box on Seattle’s Irvin Parra.

A total of seven bookings occurred in the match, with OKC receiving four. Seattle’s Ray Saari was sent off with his second yellow card in the 90th minute.

With the loss, OKC dropped to 5-6-2 on the season, while Seattle improved to 6-6-2. Just three points separate the third place Sounders 2 and ninth place Energy FC in the USL Western Conference.

OKC next travels to Vancouver, B.C., where the club takes on Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 in 5 p.m. CDT start on Saturday, June 24, at Thunderbird Stadium.